Monday, July 14, 2008

2007 Charles Smith Wines Kung Fu Girl Riesling

So when I pulled this bottle out of my wine rack (OK, to be fair, my “wine rack” is two cardboard boxes in my bedroom closet) my first thought was, where can I get a tripod and timer? Because, obviously, the only possible picture to accompany this review is of me breaking a board with my forehead.

Alas, after several “practice runs” karate-chopping household items (easiest: reduced-fat Triscuits; most difficult: slate-top coffee table) I decided that “Kung-Fu Girl” was not a nickname I’d be earning anytime soon. Maybe I could illustrate the post with pictures of my bruised hand.

So, with preliminaries completed, I unscrewed the bottle and took a long pull.

What follows is a transcript of my thoughts:

• “Hmmmmm.”
• “Huh?”
• “Oooooh.”
• “Ahhhh.”

Kung Fu Girl is most aptly described as “refreshing,” I think. I don’t know what other people taste, but in general, I find riesling to be very apple cidery. In fact, if you put this next to a glass of Spire and blindfolded me, I’d probably not be able to tell that they weren’t from the same family of beverages.

Which isn’t to say that it is an oversimplified flavor. KFG can be quite complex and tangy. It has hints of vinegar (not in a bad way, mind you), lime and pear.

When pitted against a dinner of grilled sweet onion and bleu cheese on a bed of mixed greens, it held up surprisingly well. (Far, far better than those Triscuits held up against my fists of fury.)

PRICE:$12
DRINKABILITY: I don’t even know why I include this category. For the right kind of person, everything is drinkable. I’d drink straight Windex if it came in a glass with three olives and an umbrella.
SNOB VALUE: Check out the ratings. Charles Smith can do no wrong.
WHERE TO FIND IT: K Vintners and any grocery store in eastern Washington state.
FAMOUS LAST WORDS: In Chinese, “Kung Fu” refers to one's expertise in any skill, not necessarily martial arts. Time and again, regardless of the label, Charles Smith has Kung Fu-ed his way through the grapes of eastern Washington. Hieeeeee-yah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Smith is a benevolent marketing engine, who happens to have learned to make some good wine. occasionally.

He also is a bull in a china shop, and I'd rather pay someone else who's been making Riesling for more than a year.

You know, of course, that Christophe basically makes K's wines, right? I don't mind that, I don't mind him turning the Pastime into a studio.

I just wish he'd contemplate history before he leaves his Marten marks in town.