Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Taking off my 'lecture hat'

I had to take a little break from drinking wine for the blog. I would say it was for financial reasons, but really, it had more to do with being a little on the moody side for the past couple of weeks. Nobody wants to read tasting notes that read like a cry for help.

I was simultaneously very occupied and very restless. I wanted to drink for non-educational reasons. Thus I found myself “tasting” pitchers of Bud Light over games of ping-pong. (From my notes: “Wait, there was beer in this cup? I could have sworn this one was the urine sample.”)

I did drink some wine since the last post, of course. It can’t be helped. I had a nice 2005 Syrah from L’Ecole. I had two quite decent Napa wines and one undrinkable Australian in a blind tasting with friends. I downed half a bottle of real champagne one eventful Friday night.

None of this taught me anything. Nothing I can say about it will enlighten you. Maybe you’ll come away from this post wondering what exactly I’m getting at.

So I’ll tell you. As I read back through these posts, they seem more and more pretentious. So I’m trying to get back to my roots. Take my word for it: I don’t know any more about wine now than I did six months ago.

Also in the category of things I don’t know much about:
• African colonization in the 18th century.
• String theory.
• Milan Kundera.
• Internal combustion engines.
• Men.

This is my pledge to you, dearest reader: July will be a month of hilarious, lighthearted posts. No more wallowing around in the interior wasteland of my personal life.

Less thinking, more drinking. I promise.

1 comment:

carly mae said...

on the fourth i was talking to rich. i don't know his last name, maybe you know him, you can see his picture here.

anywho, he was talking about blind tastings where someone picks a varietal and then people bring various ones, stuffed into paper bags and after the blind tasting you discuss and see which one people favor and then, ta-da, find out how nice or not nice it actually is.

is that what you did?
if not, it kind of sounds...fun? interesting?
either way, it involves multiple bottles of wine.